Xylitol is Dangerous for Dogs

By Jen of Sarah’s Pet Sitting

Most dog owners know that chocolate is dangerous to their dogs, but aren’t aware that Xylitol can be just as dangerous. In case you don’t know what Xylitol is, Xylitol is a sugar substitute. It’s a class of sweetener known as sugar alcohol and it can be found in most sugar free gum, mints as well as baked goods, toothpaste, peanut butter, and sugar free desserts including skinny ice cream among other things.

Xylitol Dogs

Xylitol affects humans and dogs differently. Xylitol doesn’t cause an insulin release in humans which is why it’s so popular. But, it does in dogs and it is usually so rapid that it can cause a quick and dramatic drop in blood sugar.

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, weakness, lethargy, loss of coordination and seizures. These symptoms can develop as quickly as 15-30 minutes or may take 12-18 hours of ingesting the xylitol, depending on how much was consumed and the size of your dog. This can quickly lead to lowered sugar levels (hypoglycemia), liver failure and death.

xylitol Dogs

If you think that your dog has eaten something containing xylitol immediately seek veterinary attention and contact ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435

To help prevent your dog form getting into xylitol, make sure to keep products that contain xylitol out of reach of your dog. Make sure that if you have sugar free gum or mints in your purse or bag to keep it out of your dogs reach. If you use peanut butter to give your dog pills, make sure to check the label to ensure that it doesn’t contain xylitol. Also, if you are going to share some of your food with your dog always make sure to read the label and make sure that it doesn’t contain xylitol.

Get Started

We can't wait to meet you and your pets!

Get Started with Sarah's Pet Sitting Today!
Proudly Servicing Cheshire, Southington, Wallingford, Hamden, Meriden, Bethany, Plantsville and Prospect
Get Started